At St Mary's C of E we aim for all of our children to become fluent, confident and passionate readers committed to becoming lifelong learners. Research suggests that to give our children the very best start in life we must instil a love of reading for pleasure. As an incentive, we have updated our reading rewards system so that children get rewarded for their reading achievements each term, rather than at the end of the school year as in previous years. From now on children achieving their Gold award will now receive a special treat at the end of Autumn term, Spring term and Summer term. There will be an additional reward for those prestigious readers achieving Head Teachers Award.
Please note changes to certificates
The rewards are:
- Bronze 0-20
- Silver 0-30
- Gold 0-40
- Head Teacher Award 0-50
These can be earned through:
- Reading their school reading books
- Fiction express books
- Picture books
- Non-Fiction books
- Parent/ carer reading to the child
Children can earn 2 reading points per day. Please ensure all reading achievements are recorded in the home reading record.
Children will continue to be rewarded for their efforts by being entered into a weekly book prize draw.
*Top Tips for Reading Success *
Daily reading can make a massive difference to your child's progress.
Here are some easy ways you can make reading a part of every day:
1. Don’t worry about how long you read for. Every minute spent reading makes a bigger difference than you realise!
2. Don’t worry about what your kids are reading: recipes, cereal packets, Argos catalogues... It’s all useful! Keep books and other reading materials close by.
3. Reading to kids of all ages is helpful. If your little one isn’t reading by themselves yet, read with them.
4. Ask lots of questions: Who, what, where, when and why and ask them to summarise when you’ve finished.
Make sure you record all of your reading achievements, we love to celebrate these in school by rewarding children with Bronze, Silver, Gold and Headteachers awards!